I build and scale things online
I’m passionate about writing brilliant, maintainable, scalable and performant software.
HTML / CSS
- Extensive use of node.js (including core development) building web apps, APIs and a wide variety networked services
- Frontend Libraries: jQuery (extensive), AngularJS (extensive), socket.io, Modernizr, Handlebars, Ember.js (and many more)
- Good depth of knowledge about the (many) language quirks and how to work with them
- Use of HTML5 APIs: Local storage, canvas
- Proficient in CoffeeScript
- Chrome extensions (namely twitcher)
- MVC frameworks: CakePHP (extensively including core development) and Symfony2
- CMS: Drupal, Wordpress and bespoke builds
- eCommerce: Magento and PayPal
- 3rd Party APIs: Facebook, Twitter, PayPal, YouTube, Yahoo, AWS, Rackspace
- Extensive use of MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Geospatial analysis with PostGIS
- Advanced structures such as hierarchical (adjacency list, path enumeration, MPTT and closure table) and versioned
- More advanced features such as subqueries, stored procedures and triggers
- Complex query dissection and performance optimisation (often overlooked)
- Building websites for years
- Good familiarity with HTML5
- Use of HAML
- Know and can properly utilise SASS
- Optimised CSS selector performance
- Experience building complex, performant and beautiful Android applications
- Good knowledge of Android best practices
- Extensive use of Twisted
- Used flask for basic websites
- Implemented web servers with Tornado, gunicorn and gevent
- Built basic UIs with wxPython
- As an experiment in writing a simple language parser I wrote a command line calculator: calc (works by parsing tokens into a bi-directional linked list, holding each scope in a similar list then evaluating each scope when the scope ends.)
- Have written basic web servers
- Keen to learn more
I manage infrastructure that collectively handles over 100 million page views per month.
I've been building, configuring and managing UNIX servers for over 5 years. I’m passionate about security and I work to maintain resilience and rock-solid reliability on a daily basis.
Handling serious load is tricky. I specialise in creating highly optimised and efficient environments through utilising a combination of battle hardened software, the latest tech and years of experience.
Harness the Cloud
Cloud computing can offer huge potential for business of all sizes. I have worked with major cloud providers like AWS, Rackspace and Cloudflare to provide flexible, on-demand scaling and failover to either supplement or replace traditional systems.
Design + Build
CakePHP, Bootstrap, Facebook + Twitter API's
I would love to hear from you about building or scaling your project.